The kidneys are two bean-shaped organs located below the rib cage on either side of the spine. These tiny organs pack a big punch in maintaining health by eliminating toxins from the body and filtering the blood before it returns to the heart. Kidney cleanses, done twice a year, are a great way to detox your kidneys naturally so they can perform the many functions they were designed to do.
There is a significant correlation between chronic kidney disease and cancer mortality. People with cancer have an increased likelihood of dying if their kidney function is compromised.
What Do The Kidneys Do?
The kidneys, along with the bladder and ureters, are a part of the urinary tract. These fist-sized organs perform a variety of functions to maintain homeostasis in the body. Each kidney contains one million nephrons, which are the kidneys’ main functional cells.
The kidneys regulate water balance, activate hormones, and filter the blood up to 60 times per day. Products of metabolism, including ammonia, uric acid, urea, creatinine, and hormone metabolites, are eliminated through the kidneys once they’ve been filtered through the liver.
Hormones are produced in the kidneys that regulate blood pressure, make red blood cells, and activate vitamin D, which plays a vital role in calcium absorption. Osmolarity, pH, and electrolyte balance are regulated by the kidneys to maintain extracellular fluid and to prevent the blood from becoming too acidic or alkaline. Approximately 1/2 cup of blood is filtered through the kidneys every minute.
Toxins are excreted through the kidneys via three mechanisms: Passive diffusion through the distal tubules, glomeruli filtration, and processes that actively transport toxins from the blood into the urine. Kidney function can be reduced by compromised blood flow, dysfunctions in the mitochondria, and an overload of toxicity stemming from poor gut function and exposure to industrialized chemicals. Heavy metals are particularly toxic to the kidneys.
Disclaimer: “As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases.”
Toxicity creates an acidic environment in the body, including toxins that are byproducts of normal metabolism. Both environmental and metabolic toxins can be sequestered in tissues if the channels of elimination aren’t functioning properly. A cell/kidney cleanse done twice a year can help the body eliminate acidic waste.
Cleanses alkalinize the bloodstream, shifting the body into a parasympathetic state, which is the rest and relaxation branch of the autonomic nervous system. This temporary shift in alkalinity stimulates the cell membranes to open, enabling the release and elimination of toxins that have been stored in the cells. The hydration inherent in the cleanse initiates removal of toxins, while balancing blood sugar levels and minerals.
Water is vital for the maintenance of osmotic pressure and toxin-removal. Osmotic pressure allows water to deliver waste and dead cells to the capillaries, which then transport toxins to the lymph system, bloodstream, and kidneys for elimination. The length of the capillaries is a determining factor in how much water can be transported through the capillary beds. Cells must be supplied with enough water, at regular frequencies, for this process to work efficiently.
Hydrating with four ounces of water every hour is recommended to maximize hydration and detoxification. The body is only able to use a certain amount of water at any given time, with the excess being eliminated. It’s better to hydrate with four ounces of water every hour or so, rather than drinking several ounces twice a day. The consistency of your water intake is key in terms of both cell hydration and detoxification.
Disclaimer: This cleanse should be done twice a year or as needed. For safety reasons, please consult your health care provider before performing this procedure.
Detox Your Kidneys Naturally / What You’ll Need
- Magnesium citrate powder or liquid /OR Epsom Salts
- Filtered Water
- Alkaline Punch (see instructions below)
- Potassium Broth (see instructions below)
- Coffee enema kit with coffee
In a gallon container, combine the juice of 6 lemons, 6 grapefruits, and 12 oranges. Using filtered water, fill the remainder of the jar.
In a large pot, combine 25% of each of the following: (always use organic produce) (1) carrot peelings and chopped beets (2) potato peelings (use the outer 1/4″) (3) chopped garlic and onions (4) dark greens and chopped celery. If you’d like, you can add hot peppers to the mix for taste. Cover the mixture with filtered water and simmer for 1-4 hours. Strain and discard the vegetables.
1. Do a coffee enema in the morning when you wake up (9:30 to 10:30 am)
2. Wait 30 minutes and take 1 Tablespoon of magnesium citrate or Epsom salts dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water (11:00 am)
3. Wait 30 minutes again and repeat the process (11:30 am)
4. Wait 30 minutes again, repeating the process (12:00 noon)
5. This time wait 2 hours and drink 1 cup of the alkaline punch (2:00 pm)
6. Wait 30 minutes and drink 4 sips of the punch (2:30 pm)
7. Wait another 30 minutes (and every 1/2-hour period for the next 5 hours) and drink 4 swallows of the punch (3:00-8:00 pm) – you can drink water instead of the punch if you prefer
*During this process, it’s advised to rest as much as you can, while minimizing all activity. This enables energy to be used for detoxification. Do NOT take any supplements during this time.
1. Consume 2 swallows of pure water every half hour for 8 hours
2. Feel free to drink as much carrot juice and potassium broth as you want
3. Do two coffee enemas throughout the day as needed
4. Again, rest as much as possible. Exercise is not recommended
5. Refrain from taking supplements
*Optionally, you can repeat the procedures of day 1, for 2 days in a row before progressing to the steps outlined in day 2. However, this is not advised for people with diabetes or hypoglycemia. Proceed with caution and always gauge how you feel.
It’s the cumulative effect of these toxins that can overwhelm the kidneys and reduce their function. Protecting your kidneys is one of the most effective ways to prevent disease, including cancer, and to slow the rate at which you age.
Did you know your kidneys performed so many functions? Let me know in the comments:)
(1) MedicineNet: Kidney Pain
(2) HealthExcel: Cell/Kidney Cleanse
(3) National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases: Your Kidneys & How They Work
(4) NCBI: The Kidney dysfunction Epidemic, Part 1: Causes
(5) Merck Manual: Overview of Electrolytes
(6) National Kidney Foundation: Cancer Deaths Rise in those with Reduced Kidney Function
(7) healthline: Kidney Overview
Disclaimer: This article is strictly for informational purposes only and is not intended to be medical advice. Please be diligent and always do your own research in regard to any material I present on this site. I claim no responsibility for any distress, whether it be physical or emotional, that may occur as a result of the information you obtain from my blog.